Do You Need A UK Visa If You Have An Article 10 Residence Card?

Brexit has brought a lot of changes which will possibly affect the free movement EU citizens have to travel and work in the UK  in the future. These uncertainties could possibly  rub off on Non EEA nationals who hold a genuine Article 10 residence card.


For now, nothing has changed!! so you do not need a UK visa if you have an article 10 card.


However, those who have a valid EU residence card are now asking if they will now need a UK Visa to travel to the UK.

The Good news is that you can  still enter the United Kingdom without a UK visa.

However, each persons circumstance is different!

This mean that  you might still be required to apply for a EEA family permit  before you can be allowed to enter the UK. Read further to find out if you need additional documents to support your Article 10 or Article 20 residence card or if you have to apply for an EEA family permit.


What is an Article 10 Residence Card

UK and EU have an agreement whereby EU nationals are free to move in the UK and UK nationals are free to move in the EU.

If you are a family member of an EU national, you will be issued an Article 10 residence card. This residence card  will allow you to travel to, or join your EEA national relative in the UK.

But wait….

If you are not an EU citizen, before you can travel to the UK with  any EU residence card, you must  check and make sure it contains any of the below wordings;

Article 10 Residence card must contain ” RESIDENCE CARD FOR FAMILY OF A UNION CITIZEN”


How do you know if you need additional EEA Family permit


It all boils  down to the circumstance in which your EU resident card was issued. Was it under EU law? or was it under country specif law?

Consider the below scenarios to better explain things!

Lets say there are 2 non EEA citizens Kate and Bruce;

Kate is a not from the EU, but she is married to a German citizen and they both live and work in Germany. In this case, Kate will be given a residence permit under German domestic law only,  therefore she will need to apply for an EEA family permit before she will be able to travel to the UK.

Bruce on the other hand is not an EU citizen, but he me married to a German citizen and they both currently live and work in France. Bruce will issued a residence card by the french authorities, under EU law. Therefore, he will not need to apply for any additional document to be able to travel to UK.

To be admitted into UK as a family member of an EU citizen, you should be able to demonstrate that you have the right documentation under EU law. So in other words, the article 10 resident card is  an eea family member permanent residence card


What if You don’t have an EU Residence card.

If you are not an EU citizen and you do not have an article 10 or article 20 resident card but your family member is an EU citizen, you will have to apply for an EEA family permit before you will be allowed to travel to the UK or move to the UK to join your EU relative.

Find out more about the requirements and procedure for applying for the permit here

Additional Documents to carry along

Apart from your article10 or article 20 residence card, you will need to show the below documents

  • A valid passport of your country
  • proof or relationship with the EU citizen, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate
  • If the EEA PR (EEA  permanent resident) is not travelling with you, then  you must show evidence that your EU  citizen family member lives in the UK, that he has been there for less than 3 months, or that they work there,  are self employed, self sufficient and not under benefits, or a student.

You must be able to show the below otherwise they UK border agent might refuse your entry.

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *